A large four-alarm fire broke out on Havre Street Tuesday and injured one firefighter, according to the Boston Fire Department.
Boston Fire responded at 12:30 p.m. Tuesday afternoon to the fire that broke out at 238 Havre St. On arrival, firefighters were met with heavy smoke and a second alarm was immediately ordered for the blaze inside the large three story wood framed duplex.
The fire quickly jumped to a four alarm fire, as crews attacked flames from all angles and firefighters braved the roof to open holes and vent smoke.
While battling the blaze one firefighter was taken to the hospital after suffering burn injuries.
As the fire grew more intense and dangerous firefighters were ordered off the home’s roof and switched to defensive operations to battle the blaze. Boston Fire officials said the decision to pull firefighters from the roof was due to the fact that the home’s chimney had burned away and the building’s roof was in danger of collapsing.
The fire was so intense that the first firefighters on the scene had to be relieved by a second shift after battling the fire for over two hours.
At press time firefighters were still on the scene trying to get the blaze under control. There is no word from the fire department on the cause of the blaze or how much damage the fire caused.
This is a developing story and the East Boston Times should have more information next week.